Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

What a week!

I apologize for my lack of posting lately.  Many of you may have heard (or been here) through the tornado outbreak a week ago.  We lost power for several days, so its been a bit chaotic.  So, I'm going to take a moment and just reflect on some of the things this past week.
Last Wednesday, the tornado warnings began early- around 6 am.  We had about 3 that morning.  I spent a lot of time in the hallway (and the library) at work.  This is me & Malea hanging out in the library:



We got sent home at 12:30 so I headed to my parents house because they had a basement.  The storm had already been pretty bad pulling up two very large trees in their neighbors yards.  They had lost power already.  It had calmed down and I was hungry, so we took the leftover taco meat put it in a sauce pan and cooked it over their oil lamp.  It actually worked quite nicely.  By mid-afternoon, my dad made it home in time to deal with the next round of tornadic activity. That evening we still had more coming.  If you have ever seen the ABC Family movie "Night of the Twisters", that was pretty much what the whole day was like.  This resulted in what is now over 300 deaths, no power in most of Madison County, and a whole lot of destruction.  We were blessed to have neither my house or the new house touched by this storm.  God was good to protect us from it.
We have dubbed our 5 days without power the "Powerocalypse". At first, it was strange to have no power, but then we adjusted to it.  We grilled out every food we had in our freezer, played games, went bike riding, and just spent some good quality time all together.  We formed some wonderful memories.
I was able to get some boxes unpacked at the new house and get some things organized.  I even started pinning the fabric for my valance!  It's all ready to go once I hook my sewing machine up.  So, be looking for that coming soon!
I haven't touched anything with the wedding in a while.  With everything that happened last week, it seemed to not matter.  All that mattered was being together, and being with friends & family.  That being said, my approach to the wedding has changed.  It's becoming a simple affair, because truly all that matters is that we are there together with our wonderful family and friends.  No more stressing over the little things, because in the light of eternity it doesn't matter anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment