Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Flower pin/barrette

Ok, so I've been super busy the last week or so.  It's not looking like its going to lighten up any in the next couple of weeks, but I was able to fit in making this fabulous flower pin/hair bow.  Can you guess where the fabric came from???  It's scraps from the wedding wreath!  The deal was I found my flower girl this cute inexpensive (compared to most) dress online for the wedding.  It's a white dress with a black satin sash.  Well, she needed some sort of turquoise to tie it in with the other girls.  So, I had the idea to make her a flower pin to put on it.  Originally, I had planned on making one of my flower pins that I sell in our store, but felt like it needed to be something a little different.  This is what I came up with:

Sorry the photo is a little off center.  Isn't it cute though????  I should have taken photos along the way, but trying to take pictures of some things by myself just wasn't working.  I'll give a brief tutorial without them.


You will need the following items:
Sizzix Big Shot
Flower Die
Fabric of choice
Felt
Scissors
Hot Glue Gun
Pin
Hair Barrette
Matches or Lighter (dependent on fabric)

I started out by using my Sizzix Big Shot.  The Big Shot might be my newest favorite tool.  I used one of the flower dies then cut out several of the flowers using the die.  If you don't have a Big Shot, you can make a template on a piece of paper then trace it on your fabric.  I wish I could tell you how many to cut, but it really depends on how big you want your flower.  You will also need to cut out a small circle of felt.  The size of the felt will determine how big your flower will be.  You will then use the same technique that I used when making my heart wreaths.  You kinda just roll the flower till it makes a rosette of sorts.  I trimmed of the bottom of the rosette so it was flat.  I placed hot glue on the bottom of it and placed it around the edge of the pin.  Once I had done the edges of the circle, I filled in the center.  I just added rosettes till it looked the way I wanted it too.  I glued the pin & the hair barrette to the back of it making it versatile, so that my favorite 7 year old can wear it both on the dress & later in her hair.
Now, you might be wondering where the matches come in.  The satin fabric I used frays easily.  As much as I love a good frayed flower pin, my wedding is a bit dressier of an affair, I needed to keep the flower from fraying.  So, I used the matches to burn the edges.  It worked out really well, even leaving a bit of a black rim around it, matching perfectly!!!

I sure hope she likes it as much as I do!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love that flower pin! I find that some are too "loose" or aren't ruffly enough, but this one is perfect! Will you sell some in your etsy shop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll be uploaded soon w/ a color choice. Check back over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete